Online Dating Faux Pas

13 Aug

I’m sad I have to blog this, because I thought it would be common knowledge – but since I came across it today, apparently it is not.

As you online-daters know,  OKCupid has somewhat of a “News Feed” on your home page, which shows you what users have added photos, or added something to their profile.

Now, I have always told you that having a photo with a member of the opposite sex on your online dating profile is a bad idea..  But, a user uploaded one of these with the caption:

“this pic was taken back in 2006 for my Ex girlfriends prom (sigh) Miss that girl sum times.  We were together for 4 years…… I just hope she’s happy and finds what she’s looking for and I hope she knows that I will always love her.”

1)  Again – pictures with a member of the opposite gender are NOT a good idea.. ESPECIALLY if that person is an ex!

2)  Pictures from 2006 are NOT acceptable.   Hell, pictures from 2011 are not acceptable at this point.

3) If you publicly announce in your profile that you are still in love with your ex, your online dating journey will be a boring one.  No one is going to message you, or respond to your messages.

4)  Let’s pretend everything I’ve said so far is bullshit..  You clearly screwed up big time back in 2006, or whenever it was that this girl clearly dumped you.   What did you do?!

5)  Prom?  Really? … And you’re 30 years old..  Really?

8 Responses to “Online Dating Faux Pas”

1. ms483836 August 13, 2013 at 12:47 am #

LOL, I have to agree with 1 through 5!!! seriously!!! WHY WOULD HE CAPTION HIS PICTURE like that!!!! what an idiot!

2. datinginvegas August 13, 2013 at 3:21 am #

What a moron. I wrote a similar post..lol

3. Chin Up, Chest High! August 13, 2013 at 9:09 am #

The mind boggles, it really does. I’ve seen a couple of profiles with “don’t worry guys – that’s my brother” but sadly these are few and far between. People simply do not put the thought into their pictures or the captions.

4. trippyb August 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

sometimes, when I’ve stumbled across a photo that I KNOW is ruining this guy’s potential romantic prospects, I’ll send a little email with some kindly worded advice.
    Usually they will thank me and I move on, sometimes they are a little belligerent and I move on, other times they try to get something started with me and I move on 🙂
    I’ve thought of starting a business where I help guys create their on-line profiles so they don’t seem too sad, douchey or just plain stupid.

5. infinitymadness2 August 13, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

LOL omg that is really funny! I have to agree with everything you’ve said!

6. wholelottarosiee August 13, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Reblogged this on Confessions of a Phone Sex Operator and commented:
    Take note people!

7. Mia August 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

I’ve run into many guys that put up photos with other girls or worse, when they use some sort of Paint tool to smudge their faces into what looks like a scene from the Grudge. This guy, however, seems to really have an issue. Number 1, he is openly stating he misses some girl he has dated years ago. Imagine actually dating him and hearing about this girl constantly.. Number 2, he was how old and dating a girl who had her prom!? Is it High School prom cause they guy must have been around 23. If it’s university prom, then OK.. but it still doesn’t explain how his 30 year old mind works.

Wow, I don’t know about you.. but being on an online dating site just kills any spirit I have. I am still on OKCupid and check it sometimes just to reassure myself I would rather be single.

8. Online Dating December 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm #